The benefits of content marketing for business have been said a lot. This is a new branch of Internet marketing for the domestic audience, which has become a digital trend of recent years.
Many studios and agencies understand the nuances of content marketing and successfully use it to promote the business of their customers. However, for a significant part of marketers and businessmen, content marketing is a distant planet on the edge of the solar system, and they try to compensate for its misunderstanding with different speculations.
As a result, in the company of entrepreneurs and marketers, this type of online marketing is spread by myths that should be ruthlessly refuted. For convenience, we divide them into two categories: directly about the content and associated with it.
Radish is sweeter than apricot, or 6 myths about content marketing
Content marketing is a pill against all kinds of “marketing” pain
Content marketing can be the main, but not the only promotion tool. He is able to solve most marketing problems, but only if he practices it with other methods: SMM, SEO, improving website usability, paid advertising and other techniques. Alone, he is like a pretty drunk man who is trying to overcome the doorway.
Content-marketing hides only the placement of useful articles
“Thank you for the information, but I will buy the product elsewhere,” potential customers think with this simple philosophy visiting the site. You can give tons of current information, but they will not buy from you, but from competitors. Therefore, content marketing involves the publication of materials that represent the company as an expert in its business and encourage the visitor to buy exactly on this site. Articles on your resource need to be promoted through a variety of media channels.
Content marketing is more effective than SMM
Comparing these concepts is like comparing the free spins offer with the hippopotamus. SMM is not a different field of marketing but a part of content marketing, so it’s completely pointless to do it.
The effectiveness of content marketing is measured by the growth in sales
In fact, the indicator of the effectiveness of this type of marketing is customer loyalty: the better your content strategy works, the more confidence in Central Asia you will win. Content marketing can be described as working with a cold audience. The trust of potential customers will help increase your sales in the future.
Content marketing is the placement of articles that relate to business only
Judging by this false assertion, content marketing is one great advertising brochure. The content, which deals only with the services and products of the customer, is of little interest to readers. They like to read something that has to do with them directly. Publish interesting stories related to your proposal. Look for potential audience problems that your product can solve and provide this information to users.
Content marketing is only necessary for online business
Then why does Coca-Cola, Staropramen, Apple and other successful brands apply it? Because TV and radio no longer play such a role for society, as they did 10 years ago. Now, young people and middle-aged people are involved in online entertainment: social networks, popular blogs and other information channels. The logic of content marketing is to place the desired content in the right place (not only on the company’s website).
Myths related to content marketing
- The brand must be ubiquitous. Imagine a poor user, whom the post “How to quickly clean the toilet from the plaque” persecutes in all areas. The presence of “everywhere” looks obtrusive and can harm the brand. Therefore, use only those channels that interest your CA.
- It’s important to advertise yourself in every post. Texts in the style of “Woolen clothes can not be dried in an upright position, and our store offers you stylish blouses and sweaters” annoy readers. They have a feeling that they are obliged to buy this product. Of course, you have to advertise yourself, but only moderately and unobtrusively. The best advertising will be information that does not occur on the Internet.
- You need to select one criterion to test the effectiveness of content marketing and follow it. At the root of the wrong statement. The effectiveness of content marketing should be tracked using several metrics:
- community activity;
- volume of traffic;
- number of reposts;
- sources of leads;
- brand recognition;
- subscription statistics;
- satisfaction (how much your information corresponds to the desires of customers);
- sales growth (not mandatory).
- For promotion, it is enough to follow the publications of competitors and “lend” the topics of their articles. It is acceptable if you take ideas for publications from other sites, but come up with completely different content. Unreasonable rewriting or copying of other people’s materials will not increase your credibility and will not increase the conversion. To win a consumer trust, you will need unique ideas for content. You do not want to get lost on the background of rivals?
- Email-marketing went to well-deserved rest. In fact, only the obsolete part of email marketing is no longer working – annoying and ill-conceived letters. According to a new study by the consulting company McKinsey, e-mail is much more effective for acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter. Perhaps in Ukrainian reality it is inferior to social networks in this parameter, but still remains one of the effective means for communication with a potential audience.
Myths about content marketing harm business owners. Because of them, they can set goals that content marketing cannot solve, or vice versa, underestimate the entire power of promotion with textual materials.